- Raise the socio, economic, cultural and political status of the women
- Promote women leadership in all possible social structures
- Establish equitable place for women in society
- Formation of SHGs
- Entrepreneurship Development Training
- Leadership training for women particularly for the Elected women representatives of Panchayati Raj Institutions (local bodies)
- Economic development for widows and destitute
- Campaign and advocacy for women right
- Facilitated 500 women Self Help Groups (SHG)
- 6000 women are organized into one Federation called ‘Ezhuchi’ (means in the vernacular REFORM)
- Nearly 2000 women have been trained in micro enterprises
- 584 women are self employed in micro enterprises
- The income, health and social status have improved for rural women
- 154 women have occupied official positions in the local governance (panchayti raj institution)
- 132 elected women have been imparted Leadership skill development training
- Panchayat Grama Sabhas ( general body of the panchayats) are functioning effectively with large number of women’s participation.
- A group of widows and destitute women are getting income from lease tea garden
Promotion of Women Leadership in Local Governance
In the Indian / Tamil Nadu Rural context, participation of women in politics is next to nil. Even though the 73rd amendment to the Indian Constitution has provided space for women to participate in Local Governance, majority of women feel themselves as unworthy to occupy leadership in the local bodies. Due to Island Trust’s effort since 1996, many rural women especially from socially disadvantaged communities have come forward to take part in grass root democracy and do a fair job.
Since 2006, our efforts are complimented by The Hunger Project, India / USA (http://www.thp.org) and a serious process of building Women Leadership in PRI is taking place. 152 Elected Women Representatives (EWR) are given capacity building training on PRI Act, Administration of PRI, the new acts and schemes related to PRI, Leadership skills and the Campaign and Advocacy skills. They are also federated into Block Level and District Level federations. This gives them the courage to assert their rights and leadership in panchayat raj system. The trained EWR are functioning with Self Esteem, Independence and Commitment.